Eligibility criteria and nomination requirements for small businesses and corporations are outlined below. Submissions for these awards are due no later than 5:00 p.m. on 02/15/2022. Nomination packages can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Confirmation emails will be sent upon receipt of nomination packages.
- Business must be operated in the state of Louisiana for the previous 3 calendar years prior to the nomination submission deadline and must be registered with the Louisiana Secretary of State’s Office;
- Business must be designated as “other than small” (i.e. large businesses) for its primary industry under the applicable SBA size standards;
The following individuals and corporations are NOT eligible for this award:
- Elected officials or entities where an elected official is a member or shareholder;
- Individuals or teams who own or operate a business defined as “small business” for its primary industry under the applicable Small Business Administration’s size standards; or
- Individuals or firms who are currently suspended or debarred by the Federal government.
- Going Concern — a substantiated history as an established business; including but not limited to expansion, exporting, addition of territories, or growth in square footage occupied;
- Increase in the number of employees — Increases over the three years must be in excess of growth in Gross Domestic Product as determined by the Bureau of Economic Analysis (www.bea.gov);
- Size Standard Determination – Sales and Net Worth for the three prior calendar years, this is, 2019, 2020, and 2021;
- Responsiveness to adversity — examples of problems faced in the business and the methods used to solve them;
- Contributions to community-oriented projects — evidence of support and/or initiation of programs that support the well-being and development of the local community, i.e., workforce development, economic development, education and youth development, policy and advocacy, equity and inclusion, etc.; and
- Contribution to the Small Business Community — evidence of support, mentor/protege, and/or joint venture that promotes the development of the local small business, i.e., workforce development, economic development, education, policy and advocacy, equity and inclusion, etc.
Nomination Package Requirements
- Morial Award Corporation of the Year Nomination Form
- Prior Year Annual Report
- Letter of Confirmation that the business is in “Good Standing” with the State of Louisiana Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service
- Certification Regarding Debarment, Suspension, and Other Responsibility Matters Primary Covered Transactions
- Letter of Recommendation from a community-based organization that supports small businesses and/or economic development in the state of Louisiana
- Other supporting documentation that may impact the nominee’s selection (limited to 10 pages)