Eligibility criteria and nomination requirements for small businesses and corporations are outlined below. Submissions for these awards are due no later than 5:00 p.m. on 02/15/2022. Nomination packages can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Confirmation emails will be sent upon receipt of nomination packages.
- Business must be operated in the state of Louisiana for the previous 3 calendar years prior to the nomination submission deadline and must be registered with the Louisiana Secretary of State’s Office
- Business must be certified as a SE/Hudson firm by the State of Louisiana; certified as a disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE); or be designated as a “small business” for its primary industry under the applicable Small Business Administration’s size standards.
- Business must have a verifiable minimum revenue of $125,000 for the previous tax year
Ineligible Small Businesses
The following individuals are NOT eligible for this award:
- Elected officials or entities where an elected official is a member or shareholder;
- Individuals or teams who own or operate a business defined as “other than small” (i.e. large businesses) for its primary industry under the applicable SBA size standards; or
- Individuals or firms who are currently suspended or debarred by the Federal government.
- Going Concern — a substantiated history as an established business; including but not limited to expansion, exporting, addition of territories, or growth in square footage occupied;
- Size Standard Determination – Sales and Net Worth for the three prior calendar years, this is, 2019, 2020 and 2021;
- Responsiveness to adversity — examples of problems faced in the business and the methods used to solve them; and
- Contributions to community-oriented projects — evidence of support and/or initiation of programs that support the well-being and development of the local community, i.e., workforce development, economic development, education and youth development, policy and advocacy, equity and inclusion, etc.
Nomination Package Requirements
- Morial Award Small Business of the Year Nomination Form
- Prior year federal and state tax returns or a letter confirming that the prior year federal and state tax returns have been filed
- Letter of confirmation that the business is in “Good Standing” with the State of Louisiana Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service
- Signed Certification Regarding Debarment, Suspension, and Other Responsibility Matters Primary Covered Transactions
- Other supporting documentation that may impact the nominee’s selection (limited to 10 pages)
- Letter of Recommendation from a community-based organization that supports small businesses and/or economic development in the state of Louisiana